Did you know that HBA members can submit job postings for FREE?
Non-members can submit a job posting as well. Job opportunities are listed on the HBA website and our monthly bulletin that is shared with over 700 subscribers. Share your job or volunteer opportunity with our legal network by logging into your HBA account and clicking the button below!
*The job listing will remain on our site for 30 days unless otherwise notified.
Prairie State Legal Services - Waukegan, IL , United States
Every day, people across Illinois are denied the basic rights to which they are entitled under the law, simply because they can’t afford a lawyer. It’s our mission to change that. Approximately 690,000 people in our service area live in poverty. PSLS is providing a pathway to equal access to justice and fair treatment under the law by providing legal advice and representation, advocacy, education and outreach that serves to protect basic human needs and enforce or uphold rights.
PSLS focuses services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their fundamental requirements for physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, education and eliminating barriers to employment. We provide a wide-range of free civil legal services to some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, including low-income individuals, older adults, veterans and people with disabilities.
This position will lead, advise and inspire our staff in the Waukegan office, including 14 attorneys –of which 2 are supervising attorneys- and 9 support staff. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, dependable, and self-motivated with a demonstrated commitment to serving disadvantaged populations.
The position will include a wide variety of responsibilities, which include:
- Assist and supervise personnel in the day-to-day conduct of their job responsibilities;
- Ensure legal staff have effective supervision in order to produce high quality legal work to achieve our clients’ goals;
- Work with the Director of Pro Bono Services and local office Pro Bono Coordinator to support and foster a pro bono program that uses volunteers in a full range of program activities;
- Oversee local fund development and grant management;
- Interview applicants for legal services and assess their legal issues with a focus on those issues that have an immediate impact on their basic human needs;
- Provide legal services including legal research and factual investigation, counsel and advice, brief services and document preparation, dispute resolution, and representation of clients in administrative and judicial proceedings;
- Develop and maintain networking relationships with local bar associations and with local, state, and federal government and community agencies that serve our client population, including those serving persons with disabilities, other special needs, and older adults;
- Conduct outreach events with client communities, including client education and intake events at community partner locations;
- Hiring and training of new staff within the offices and;
- Ensure compliance with PSLS policies, along with LSC and other grant requirements.
Salary and Benefits
The Managing Attorney position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Managing Attorney salary scale starts at $65,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
- Currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois
- Member in good standing of any state bar for at least two years
- Ability to work effectively as a team member while providing appropriate level of supervision and leadership
- Experience in trial advocacy and negotiation
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
- Organizational and case management skills
- Moderate travel is required; applicant must have a valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred, but not required
- We will give preference to candidates who have knowledge of poverty law and experience providing services to low-income individuals
Please indicate “Waukegan Managing Attorney” in the subject line and email a cover letter explaining your interest and experience, your resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
PSLS is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
PSLS is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for 45 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of nearly 200 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at http://www.pslegal.org.
Contact InformationAndrea Bagwell