Did you know that HBA members can submit job postings for FREE?
Non-members can submit a job posting as well. Job opportunities are listed on the HBA website and our monthly bulletin that is shared with over 700 subscribers. Share your job or volunteer opportunity with our legal network by logging into your HBA account and clicking the button below!
*The job listing will remain on our site for 30 days unless otherwise notified.
Senior Attorney – Torts (HYBRID)
CTA - Chicago, Illinois , United States
Under general supervision, performs a broad variety of legal duties in support of the Authority’s General Counsel. Works on the defense of personal injury lawsuits filed against the Authority, from minor to catastrophic injuries and subrogation and property damage defense and performs all litigation for assigned caseload.
- Plans, directs, and participates in litigation involving personal injury cases and other matters on behalf of the Authority.
- Handles own caseload of personal injury cases and other matters.
- Initiates, researches, prepares, and presents opinions, briefs, arguments, and pleadings in litigation and arbitrations.
- Makes frequent appearances before courts, jury, and bench trials.
- Obtains and defends depositions, and prepares witnesses for trial.
- Gathers research, drafts pleadings and motions, and completes and submits any forms, memoranda, briefs, and settlement agreements on behalf of the Authority’s General Counsel.
- Works with more senior attorneys in “second chair” capacity on large personal injury litigation. Serves an integral role in these assignments, typically examining witnesses, arguing motions, and drafting memoranda, briefs, and settlement agreements.
- Conducts research for the purpose of advising client departments. May provide advice and counsel directly to client departments. Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the legal field.
- Manages work of paralegals and other support staff assigned to his/her projects. Verifies work for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques and compliance with legal standards and practices.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Reporting to this position may include the following jobs:
- Job Title
- Administrative Staff
- Keeping abreast of new trends and innovations in the legal field.
- Maintaining good working relationships and communicating effectively with client departments and staff on all levels to achieve Authority goals and objectives.
- Managing multiple tasks simultaneously and handling stressful situations.
- Providing legal advice with efficiently and accurately on behalf of the Authority.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited school of law and licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois, plus three (3) years of experience as a practicing attorney, of which one (1) year of experience was spent specializing in personal injury, subrogation, or property damage, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required to maintain appropriate continuing legal education credits.
- Requires physical handling of legal documents and equipment
- Requires remaining in a stationary position for extended periods of time and constantly operating a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Chicago Transit Authority requires all employees to be COVID-19 vaccinated. If you are offered employment, you must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or proof that you are in the process of becoming fully vaccinated as part of the hiring process and as a condition of employment. Visit www.transitchicago.com/careers
- Service Area Requirement: Exempt (Non-Union) employees must live within the boundaries of the CTA Statutory Service Area either at the time of employment or within 6 months of beginning employment at CTA.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Detailed knowledge of applicable federal and state laws.
- Detailed knowledge of principles and methods in drafting legal documents.
- Detailed knowledge of the methods and practices of legal research and investigation, judicial procedure, and the rules of evidence.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including work processing functions.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interrelate with Authority personnel of all levels and the public.
- Strong editing and drafting skills, and great attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills.
- Strong verbal and in written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills necessary for competent legal interpretation.
- Strong managerial and administrative skills to direct and coordinate the activities of the work team.
- Ability to coordinate multiple requests simultaneously while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Ability to provide effective solutions to CTA issues with integrity, initiative and creativity.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and possess analytical skills necessary for competent legal interpretation.
- General office environment.
- Travels regularly to court, depositions, and field locations as necessary.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
- Standard office equipment.
- Personal computer, telephone, trial visual aids equipment, on-line legal research, and litigation support software.
Final salary will be determined in part by the qualifications of the selected candidate and may be higher or lower than target.
Applicants, if hired,must comply with CTA's residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact email@example.com prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.
During the hiring process, CTA's Human Resources department will contact candidates with next steps . Failure to respond to these correspondences in a timely fashion may result in your application being closed out for non-responsiveness.
Contact InformationCynthia Ramirez