Did you know that HBA members can submit job postings for FREE?
Non-members can submit a job posting as well. Job opportunities are listed on the HBA website and our monthly bulletin that is shared with over 700 subscribers. Share your job or volunteer opportunity with our legal network by logging into your HBA account and clicking the button below!
*The job listing will remain on our site for 30 days unless otherwise notified.
Associate Attorney – Torts (HYBRID)
CTA - Chicago, Illinois , United States
Under general supervision, functions as a junior level attorney responsible for litigating personal injury cases brought against the authority. Works with senior attorneys on complex personal injury, subrogation, and property damage defense cases.
- Handles own docket of personal injury cases.
- Interviews witnesses and takes depositions.
- Prepares witnesses for court testimony, advises them on legal processes, and apprises them of evidence needed to present a substantial case.
- Conducts legal research and drafts case documents, pleadings, and motions.
- Reviews and responds to discovery requests.
- Reviews cases for pre-trial negotiation, attends pre-trial disposition conferences, and advises on settlement.
- Represents the Authority during jury and bench trials, hearings and arbitrations.
- Works with senior attorneys in a “second chair” capacity on large personal injury litigation cases including: examining witnesses, arguing motions, and drafting memoranda, briefs, and settlement agreements.
- Provides advice and counsel directly to clients.
- Manages work of paralegals and other support staff assigned to projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Reporting to this position are the following jobs:
- Administrative Staff
- Working in partnership with client departments and employees to achieve CTA goals.
- Working on many tasks simultaneously.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited school of law and licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois, plus one (1) year of legal experience, preferably specializing in personal injury, subrogation, or property damage, or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to this position.
- Requires physical handling of legal documents and equipment
- Requires remaining in a stationary position for extended periods of time and constantly operating a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Chicago Transit Authority requires all employees to be COVID-19 vaccinated. If you are offered employment, you must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or proof that you are in the process of becoming fully vaccinated as part of the hiring process and as a condition of employment. Visit http://www.transitchicago.com/careers
- Service Area Requirement: Exempt (Non-Union) employees must live within the boundaries of the CTA Statutory Service Area either at the time of employment or within 6 months of beginning employment at CTA.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws.
- Working knowledge of judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interrelate with clients, Authority personnel, and witnesses.
- Good research, organization and analytical skills to gather and synthesize large volumes of information into a logical convincing case.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to explain important facts clearly, logically, and concisely.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Good interviewing skills.
- Basic skill using Microsoft software.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in stressful situations.
- Ability to provide timely legal advice.
- Ability to work independently and advise and consult with management as needed.
- Ability to lead others and work in a team environment.
- General office environment.
- Works various days and hours.
- Travels regularly to court, depositions, and field locations as necessary.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
- Standard office equipment.
- On-line legal research and litigation support software.
Final salary will be determined in part by the qualifications of the selected candidate and may be higher or lower than target.
Applicants, if hired,must comply with CTA's residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.
Contact InformationCynthia Ramirez